Coleman County Medical Center (CCMC) has been committed to the delivery of high-quality, readily accessible healthcare services to the residents of Coleman County and surrounding areas since it opened as Overall Memorial Hospital in 1923.    

Although not currently in use, the original hospital structure located at the southwest corner of West College Avenue was donated to the city and county by the Overall Family.  As the needs of the community expanded, construction of an addition to the existing building – that now houses the Emergency Department and various hospital support departments – was completed in 1937.  In recognition of the generosity of the Morris Family, who made this addition possible, the hospital was later renamed the Overall-Morris Memorial Hospital. 

In 1967, a new elevated clinic was added to the north side of the facility.  Further expansion of the hospital was accomplished in 1977 through the enclosure of the parking area under the building and the addition of a basement.  Today, the first floor of the 1967/77 building houses inpatient beds, and the imaging and laboratory departments.  The second floor is occupied by the surgical and maternity departments and the hospital’s Rural Health Clinic, Coleman Medical Associates.  Dietary services, physical therapy and cardiac rehabilitation are located in the basement. 

Hospital staff members are also very active in community education such as Safe Sitter certifications, Shattered Dreams Program, Period of Purple Crying, child safety seats and bicycle safety.  Other community initiatives embraced by the hospital staff include blood donations, food and coat drives and Christmas gifts for under privileged children in the community.   

Like most small, rural hospitals, CCMC was hit hard financially by the Balanced Budget Act of 1997 that substantially cut Medicare payments.  Revenue was drastically reduced, while the cost of care continued to increase.  To maintain the quality of care in the face of declining revenues, Coleman County residents voted to create a hospital district. The tax money generated by the hospital district helps to offset the cost of care provided to indigent, uninsured and underinsured patients. 

Subsequently, the hospital applied for Critical Access status to further improve its economic stability. Designated a Critical Access Hospital in 2004, Medicare now pays CCMC the actual cost of providing care to Medicare patients.    

To enhance the hospital’s ability to deliver quality health care services, the CCMC District contracted with Preferred Hospital Leasing Coleman, Inc. (PHLC), in 2011 to operate the hospital. PHLC is considered part of an affiliated group with Preferred Management Corporation, a company with over 30 years of experience providing innovative, comprehensive management services to hospitals and healthcare facilities in rural areas.

Beginning with the generosity of the Overall Family, continuing with the contributions of the Morris Family, and more recently with the support of the CCMC District and Coleman County taxpayers, CCMC has been able to effectively respond to the changes occurring in the health care industry that have forced the closure of many other rural hospitals.  

Because of the hospital and clinic, residents do not have to travel long distances or spend long hours in waiting rooms to obtain the services provided by CCMC and its medical staff, and family and friends can spend more time with their loved ones who require a hospital stay . . . when being close to home matters.